Outdoor games have become a complete no-no for the children due to covid-19 pandemic. The introduction of online classes has snatched away the hustle-bustle of school and other activity classes. Consequently, parents are worried about the fitness of the children who are spending most of their time in front of a screen – be it a computer, a mobile phone or the television. In this situation, to prevent obesity and other related diseases, we have to think about some simple indoor exercises for kids to lose weight. To keep them fit, active and healthy, you can encourage your kids to practise some easy workout moves at home. Parents can take part in these fun, easy exercises for kids to make the session more motivating and enjoyable. Without going to a gym or without any equipment, these workout moves can work wonders for your kids’ fitness.
BENEFITS OF SQUATS:
If you want to prepare your child to take part in various activities and sports throughout his life, you have to enhance his muscular strength from an early age. Squats are simple exercises for kids that help to burn calories and build stronger leg muscles. It helps to improve balance and overall fitness. Moreover, it is one of the simple workout moves for kids that can be easily performed at home without any equipment. Above all, it increases blood flow in the body.
HOW TO DO SQUATS:
- Stand straight with your feet slightly wider than your hips.
- Stretch out your hands forward as you are pushing a wall.
- Tighten your stomach muscles.
- Lower down as if you are sitting on an invisible chair and keep your upper body straight.
- Make 90 degrees angle with your thighs parallel to the floor. You can go deeper if you feel comfortable.
- Keep your heels completely on the floor.
- Return to the standing position by straightening your legs.
- Repeat the movement for 10-20 times.
- Include squats 3-4 times per week in the exercise program for kids to lose weight.
2. CRAB WALKS
BENEFITS OF CRAB WALKS:
This is a simple and easy exercise move for kids. Crab walk helps kids burn off extra energy when they are stuck at home. This simple and fun animal walk exercise strengthens the limbs and muscles especially arms, shoulder, hamstring, and back. It improves joint health and body balance. Crab-walk is a total body exercise for toddlers and kids at home.
HOW TO DO CRAB WALKS:
- Sit on the floor. Keep your feet hip-distance apart in front of you and arms behind your back.
- Lift your hip off the floor so that it looks like a tabletop.
- Start walking forward and backward. You have to move your left hand first and then the right leg. Similarly, your right hand movement will be followed by the movement of left leg.
- Continue practicing as long as you feel comfortable.
- Kids can practise this easy and playful animal exercise move 2-3 times a week.
3. BEAR CRAWLS
BENEFITS OF BEAR CRAWLS:
Bear crawls are an advanced version of a moving plank. This simple indoor exercise strengthens the entire body. Almost all muscle groups in the body get benefitted by these workout moves at home. Motivate your child to do this excellent strength building animal exercise for kids at home. Parents can join all these simple exercises for kids to ensure a happy parent-children bonding.
HOW TO DO BEAR CRAWLS:
- From standing position, bend over and put both hands on the floor
- Your hands should be directly under your shoulder and knees should be under your hips.
- Then move forward with the right hand and the left leg, left hand with the right leg at the same time. Keep in mind that your knees should not touch the floor and you look like a bear.
- Practise this fun exercise as many times as you can.
4. FROG JUMP
BENEFITS OF FROG JUMP:
Frog Jump is a very effective and playful animal exercise for all as it engages the whole body. It helps to build strong legs, hips and glutes. When kids are stuck at home due to lockdown, this simple exercise can train your kids to be more powerful. This simple exercise increases the heart rate and breathing rate as it requires a lot of power. Besides, this easy and fun exercise can straighten the back muscle and strengthen all the core muscles. In brief, Frog jumps can work wonders for anybody including your kids, as it covers every element of fitness from weight loss to toning the body.
HOW TO DO FROG JUMP:
- It is all about jumping like a frog. Start from a squatting position.
- Keep the hands in front of you.
- Jump several feet. Keep the feet completely on the ground.
- Breathe in while you are down and breathe out when you are jumping up.
- Repeat this fun workout move at least 10 times.
- Adults can follow this exercise for kids to lose weight.
5. KANGAROO JUMP
BENEFITS OF KANGAROO JUMP:
Kangaroo jump is one of the playful animal exercises that boost your kid’s fitness with lots of fun. Jumping is the easiest way to burn calories of your kids stuck at home during the lockdown. It also strengthens the muscles and works great for overall fitness.
HOW TO DO KANGAROO JUMP:
- Start from standing position by keeping both legs together.
- Come to a squatting position.
- Jump as high as you can using your feet.
- Land softly on both feet.
- You can hop forward, backward, and side to side just like a kangaroo.
Adding some Yoga poses to the exercise routine of your kids can be very beneficial also. Apart from giving fitness to the body, yoga will help to increase the concentration and elevate the mood of the kids stuck at home due to lockdown or rainy days. Yoga can motivate your child to perform better in studies and other activities.
BENEFITS OF TREE POSE:
It makes the ankles and calves strong and tightens the abdominal muscle. Most importantly, Tree pose or “Vrksasana” increases the sense of balance between body and mind. Regular practice of this pose can improve the concentration level of the kids.
HOW TO DO TREE POSE:
- Stand straight with arms at your side.
- Bend your right knee while shifting the whole body weight to the left leg.
- Lift your right foot and rest it on the inner left thigh ( only below or above the knee).
- Stretch your arms overhead and join the palms in a prayer position.
- Stand straight and look at a fixed point in front of you. You can close your eyes to be more focused.
- If your kid has a problem in balancing, make him stand against a wall.
We all know that Yoga has multiple benefits for our children. For a better physical and mental health, we should teach Yoga to our kids from an early age. Bridge Pose or “Sarvangasana”, Cobra Pose or “Bhujangasana”, Bow pose or “Dhanurasana” are some of the simple exercises that are great for kids.
Reviewed by – Fitness Expert “Amar Gupta”